top row and bottom left: Karoliina Korhonen / bottom right: María Ambrosoni
Game maker’s notebook – Jeff & Tim/Wren
ICYMI, we’ve had two different sessions with the Game Maker’s Notebook, one with Jeff about sound and music, and one with Tim and Wren about narrative, how the game came about, and more. Check ‘em out!
Some great reads
There have been some great articles recently about Unpacking, and we wanted to share them:
- How a video game about unpacking gets the bisexual experience spot on | i-D magazine dives into streamers’ reactions to the final levels of the game and how important that representation feels to experience in a game.
- How Unpacking’s art combines beauty with clarity | Eurogamer talked with our artist, Angus Doolan about creating isometric designs that can be readable, tell a story, and fit within the mechanics of the game
- The creators of Unpacking on developing a “weird”, queer, BAFTA-winning game | Wren and Tim sat down with Eurogamer to discuss mechanics, level design combined with storytelling, showing the many facets of the protagonist, the surprise reach of the game, and more.
- Objects tell stories in Unpacking | Tim wrote a piece for the PlayStation blog about the real-life inspiration for items in the game
- Meet the Brisbane couple who claimed two major prizes at the BAFTA Game Awards | It’s been very surreal to have our local news come and interview us!
The G.A.N.G. Awards
Making room on our shelf for two more awards—this time from the Game Audio Network Guild! We won Best Sound Design for an Indie Game and Best Audio for an Indie Game, and we’re really proud to be recognized among an incredible slate. You can see the full list of winners here.
A little easter egg to find…
A pixel art rendition of the key art for our next game exists somewhere inside Unpacking, and no one has found it yet! Let us know if you find it!
Emily & the Witch Beam team